Friday, January 25, 2008

Ambassador Sanders' Remarks During Her Courtesy Call on Governor David Jonah Jang

U.S. Ambassador Robin Renee Sanders

Remarks

Courtesy Call on His Excellency David Jonah Jang
Executive Governor Plateau State

Government House, Rayfield, Jos
January 25, 2008


Thank you, your Excellency David Jonah Jang for those warm words of welcome. Your Excellency, distinguished members of the office of the Governor of Plateau State, it is my great pleasure to meet with you today.

This is my first visit to Jos and my first opportunity to meet with your Excellency. I look forward to our discussions today and the opportunity they afford me to learn about your great state and the people of Plateau State. I am interested in hearing your thoughts about the issues facing Plateau State and the plans of your administration to address the priorities you have established.

Following our meeting this morning, I will take part in a celebration of the birth of Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. taking place at the American Corner at the University of Jos City Campus. Dr. King was one of America’s greatest champions of civil and human rights and the individual most associated with the triumphs of the African-American civil rights movement during the 1950s and 1960s. His messages of freedom, understanding and equality among all people are as relevant today as they were more than 40 years ago.

In the spirit of his teachings, I am here in Plateau to listen, to learn, and I hope, to understand more about your rich history, culture and traditions. This morning I visited the University of Jos and met the Vice Chancellor, Professor Sonni Tyoden.

This afternoon, I will visit the Jos University Teaching Hospital to inspect facilities at the HIV/AIDS Center, which receives support from the U.S. President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief, PEPFAR. The hospital is a comprehensive site that provides HIV treatment, prevention, and care activities.

Thank you again, Your Excellency, for your hospitality. I am looking forward to a wonderful visit here in Jos.